SHROPSHIRE'S NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS

[former] Stretton Westwood Primitive Methodist Chapel [former] Stretton Westwood Primitive Methodist Chapel, near
Much Wenlock

This little chequer-brick pattern chapel was opened c.1878, to serve the community of local quarrymen who worked in the nearby Lea limestone quarry. The chapel was certainly in existence by 1881-2 as it appears on the 6" O.S. map. The chapel was renovated in 1895 under the supervision of Mr John Woof of Wenlock. The chapel closed shortly before its centenary, c.1973; its sale was authorised in May 1974. The building was de-registered as a place of worship on 15th April 1975. The datestone has been defaced & the building by 2005 was derelict & overgrown.
Grid ref: SO 595984

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

Photograph © Colin Powney

To return to the main page, click here