St.Martin's Primitive Methodist Chapel, also called "Moors Methodist Church"
This polychrome brick chapel was built in 1870 at a cost of £270. The chapel was built by Messrs Onslow & Griffiths and the architect was Mr E. B. Smith. It was 9 ft wider than the original chapel & had seating for 250 worshippers. The corner stones were laid on the 21st March and the chapel opened on 28th June 1870. It replaced a smaller chapel built in 1829. In 1851 the original chapel had 73 free sittings & 72 'other' sittings. There was an attendance of 117 people at the morning service on census Sunday in 1851 and 122 attenders at the evening service. In addition there were 76 Sunday scholars in the afternoon. The original chapel was reportedly burnt down in a fire. The chapel (pictured) was still in use by the Methodist church in 2023, but has since closed and was sold for £210,000 in 2025. Grid ref: SJ 315357. |