SHROPSHIRE NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS

[former] Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Hills Lane, Shrewsbury [former] Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Hills Lane, Shrewsbury
This church was officially formed in 1801 and in 1802 the congregation rented an upper room in the High Street for 2 guineas a year. In 1805 they rented the former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Hills Lane for 10 guineas a year. In 1826 it was described as "inadequate" so it was demolished and a new one built on the same site, which opened in December of that year. In the 1851 Religious Census it was reported that there were sittings for about 200 worshippers. On Census Sunday there were 112 worshippers at their morning service and 156 at their evening one, plus 128 Sunday scholars in the afternoon. This chapel was substantially rebuilt in 1870 at a cost of £882. Tenders were invited in October 1869 by the architect Richard Owens of Liverpool. This is the chapel in the rought sketch. The building was demolished in 1931-2 as part of the clearance of the area. The members then transferred their membership to St. David's Presbyterian Church of Wales, Belmont.
Grid ref: SJ 489126

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.

To return to the main page, click here