[former] Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, New Park Road, Castle Fields, Shrewsbury The original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Castle Fields was erected in 1837. In 1851 they had 25 worshippers at their morning service and 46 at their evening one, plus 22 Sunday scholars in the morning. This chapel was replaced in 1893 by the chapel in the sketch, which was built of brick with stone dressings. It had an ornate facade but very plain sides and was lit by clerestory windows due to the closeness of adjoining buildings.The congregation declined in number in the 20th century, so the chapel was sold to the borough council in 1973 and demolished. Grid ref: SJ 497132 |