![]() Claremont Baptist Chapel, Shrewsbury This is a rough sketch of the previous (1780) Baptist Chapel in Claremont Street, Shrewsbury. There had been Baptists in the town since the later 17th century, In the 18th century they were meeting in Dunns' Shutt in 1712 and then in Golden Cross Shutt in 1736. A new chapel in Claremont Street with its own burial ground was built in 1780 & opened on 22nd September of that year. The chapel was enlarged in 1810 to accommodate double the number, due to increasing membership and a schoolroom was added. This extension cost £1400. This chapel was demolished, together with an adjoining building, to make way for the new chapel in 1877, q.v. To return to the photograph of the existing chapel, click here. |