![]() [former] English Baptist Chapel, Salop Road, Oswestry This replaced the old Baptist chapel on English Walls. A site was bought c. 1885 for £750. This large building (built at a cost of nearly £4000) has an imposing front and tower of cefn stone with Broughton stone dressings but brick sides and back. It was designed by John Wills of Derby and built by Mr W. H. Thomas of Oswestry. After several years of fund raising, its foundation stones were laid on 4th June 1891 (there were reportedly ten memorial stones laid on the occasion) and it opened on Sunday 6th March 1892. It had space for 500 worshippers, and had a nave, transepts and chancel (containing the marble baptistry) and had 3 vestries at the rear. There are very detailed descriptions of the chapel at the time of its foundation stone laying and opening in the "Wrexham Advertiser of 6th June 1891 on plage 5 & the "Oswestry Advertiser" of 9th March 1892 on page 6. By November 1893 the chapel debt had been reduced to £1,200. The last service held there was on 5 November 1995. The congregation then met in temporary accommodation "Graylands" in Weston Avenue & when this became too small, they purchased a warehouse & renovated it. The new building, called "Cornerstone", |