![]() [former] Bethesda Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Penylan Lane, Oswestry This little chapel was built in 1856 for Welsh speaking Wesleyan Methodists who until then had met in a room near the Welsh Walls. This was their first purpose-built chapel. Unfortunately the inscription on the datestone is now totally illegible. It was replaced by a larger and more stylish building "Horeb", situated in Victoria Road, which opened in 1878. The old chapel seems to have had several uses since 1878; in 1900 & 1924 it was described as a "mission hall" on Ordnance Survey maps, and is now (2019) the "Penylan Laundry". Grid ref: SJ 287291 |