[former] Congregational Chapel, Victoria Road, Ellesmere This chapel was erected in 1884 at a cost of £520 to a design by Mr E. Bremner Smith of Oswestry and the builder was Mr W. Howell of Ellesmere. Tthe foundation stone was laid on the 24th July by Thomas Barnes of the Quinta and the chapel was formally opened on the 25th November 1884. By 2002 the building was not being used as a place of worship, but by the Tornado Stripping Co. which still uses the building in 2023. A Congregational Church was formed in Ellesmere on the 12th November 1786. They built a chapel in plain brick in 1805-6 in Chapel Street, helped by a donation of £10 from Sir Rowland Hill. In 1835 it was reported to have been enlarged and that they had erected two schoolrooms. At the time of the 1851 Religious Census they had 104 worshippers at their evening service but with accommodation for about 300 worshippers. In 1869 the Oswestry architect W. H. Spaull furnished plans for extensive alterations and improvements to the chapel. The front was to be renovated & provided with an entrance porch with a gallery over it. The rear of the chapel would be partially demolished & the chapel extended 24 ft & a vestry added. The interior would be thoroughly re-arranged. It would seem that Mr Spaull's plans were not implemented as by 1884 the chapel was described as "unfit for use", so they built a new chapel (in the photograph) on the same site. Grid ref: SJ 398347 For a view of the chapel in the late 19th century, click here. |