[former] Clunton Primitive Methodist Chapel This chapel was built in 1870 in polychrome brick, with an unusual ogee shaped design in the brickwork on the gable end. The chapel cost £300 to build, towards which the land and £100 was given by the Revd Edward Williams. The inscription above the door reads: PRIMITIVE METHODIST/ CHAPEL/ ERECTED 1870/ PREPARE TO MEET THEY GOD. The chapel was registered for the solemnization of marriages on the 29th June 1872. The building was sold in 1970 & de-registered as a place of religious worship on 19th May 1971 & by 2002 was converted to residential and business use and called The Old Spice Works. This chapel replaced a former chapel which opened in August 1853 and was built at a cost of just over £73 17s 1d. The chapel was lengthened by 10 feet in 1862 at a cost of more than £60, to accommodate another 60 worshippers and re-opened on 26th October 1862. Grid ref: SO 335813 |