[former] Brown Heath Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, LoppingtonThere was an earlier Wesleyan chapel in Loppington parish before this one was erected. It was stated in 1851 that it had been built in 1824. It had 100 free sittings in that year, and on Census Sunday in March 1851 there were 40 worshippers at their afternoon service and 50 at their evening one, as well as 26 Sunday scholars in the afternoon. It was reported in 1866 that the debt on the chapel had been entirely removed. This may have encouraged the Wesleyans to build a new chapel which they did in 1873. The polychrome brickwork is typical of the 1860s & 1870s. The chapel ceased to be used for worship before 1973 & was sold by auction on 30 November 1973 at Wem. It was de-registered as a place of religious worship on 25th October 1974. It seems to have been demolished since then. Grid ref: SJ 463295 |