SHROPSHIRE NONCONFORMIST CHAPELS

[former] Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Broseley [former] Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Duke Street, Broseley
There is some doubt about the exact date when a Wesleyan congregation was established in Broseley and when this chapel was built. John Wesley is know to have preached in Broseley in 1774, 1777 in the "Assembly Rooms" & in 1779. It was reported in 1932 by Mr C. R. Jones that there were two dates on Broseley Methodist chapel, 1796 and 1802, the earlier date being confirmed by a "new chapel" in Broseley being registered at the county quarter sessions in April 1797. A Methodist School was built on the opposite side of Duke Street in 1841, a building which still stands today. In the 1851 Religious Census, it was reported that the chapel was built "before 1800". In the census there were said to be 387 free sittings and 350 "other". There were 60 worshippers at their morning service and 160 at their evening one. In 1891 the chapel was fundraising for their "centenary renovation" and following its completion the chapel re-opened on 12th July of that year. In the following December they made a big effort to extinguish the debt on the chapel as a result of the renovation which they reported had "transformed" the building. The fact that this renovation was for a centenary suggests that the congregation was formally established as part of the Methodist church in 1791 and the large and impressive chapel built a few years afterwards when funds had been raised. There was more renovation together with an organ in 1899. This chapel was de-registered as a place of worship on 21st May 1968 & demolished. A new chapel was built on the same site in 1971 which is still in use in 2019.
Grid ref: SJ 673020

All the photographs on this website are copyright and may not be reproduced without the permission of the copyright owner.


To return to the main page, click here